Looking for a scrumptious fall recipe to add to your collection? Look no further, folks. This recipe is the BOMB.COM. I adapted my version from a recipe I found here.
-3 pounds potatoes (I used Yukon gold because I think they're buttery and delish!)
-1/2 cup milk
-2 small onions
-4 garlic cloves
-2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
-4 cups chicken broth
-3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
-salt and pepper
-8 to 10 slices of bacon
1. Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crispy. Pour out the fat from the pan, reserving 1 tablespoon. Wrap bacon and refrigerate until serving.
2. Chop the onion and add to pan. Cook until lightly browned. Chop the garlic and add garlic, salt and pepper to the pan. Cook together for about a minute. Stir in the flour and cook for about a minute. Slowly whisk in one cup of the chicken broth. Transfer entire mixture to the crock pot.
3. Chop the potatoes into small chunks. Add potatoes, remaining chicken broth, bacon fat and salt and pepper to crock pot. Cook entire mixture for about 4-6 hours on low.
4. When you are about ten minutes from eating the soup and after potatoes are tender, transfer about two cups of potatoes to a bowl. Add milk and mash. Return mashed potatoes back to crock pot along with shredded cheese. Stir and heat for approximately ten minutes.
5. To serve, top the soup with bacon, shredded cheese and scallions. Enjoy!
Just for the record, this recipe is definitely not "healthy" or dairy-free... meaning we had to hide from HDawg because of his dairy allergy. There are probably too many dairy-based ingredients to make this dairy-free, especially because I'm not really into vegan cheese and those kind of dairy substitutes. But it sure is some good comfort food for the rest of us!
PS. I announced the winner of the Minted giveaway. Was it you? Check out the winner here!